Replace February 18th, 2:10PM ET: Google launched the primary of its Android 12 developer previews, so we’ve up to date the data on this put up to be related if you wish to set up it in your cellphone. The educational images may embody a point out of Android 11, however we’ve ensured the steps are nonetheless correct.
You’ll be able to check out the Android 12 developer preview software program proper now when you’ve got a Pixel 3 or later, but it surely’s comprehensible if the concept of flashing your gadget to put in the OS is intimidating. It may be a difficult course of, and the steps differ barely relying on what cellphone you’ve gotten and what sort of laptop you’re going to make use of to obtain the software program. However Google itself makes this course of rather more streamlined.
Google’s Android Flash Tool is an internet utility that handles many of the steps of flashing for you. There are just a few steps that you just’ll have to do your self earlier than the brand new software program could be put in, which we’ll stroll you thru beneath, however Google’s device mainly eliminates many of the trouble and complexity that makes it straightforward to mess up.
There are just a few essential notes to make up right here on the prime. First, when you flash your cellphone with the developer preview, your gadget will get all future developer preview and beta updates over the air. In different phrases, you received’t have to flash your cellphone once more when new builds of Android 12 are launched. Simply head to your system settings and fetch an replace.
The second be aware is simply your customary disclaimer that you just do that at your individual danger. That is unfinished software program, and putting in it may result in malfunctions along with your gadget or to software program that you just normally use. And relying on settings that you just regulate within the Android Flash Software, you might need to wipe all the information out of your cellphone. So proceed with warning.
Is my cellphone appropriate with Android 12?
The Android 12 developer preview is appropriate with the Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3A, Pixel 3A XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4A, Pixel 4A 5G, and the Pixel 5. It’s doable that Google will broaden the checklist of gadgets supported by Android 12 within the upcoming beta, however for now, you’ll want a type of telephones to get the software program.
What browser do I want to make use of to flash my cellphone?
Google says that you need to use any browser that helps the WebUSB API, which is supported by Chrome in addition to Microsoft Edge model 79 and later. The Android Flash Software works with all the most important working methods, together with Linux, macOS, Chrome OS, and Home windows 10, although browser compatibility might range relying in your OS.
Step 1: Activate these three settings in your Android cellphone
- Allow the Developer Choices menu in your cellphone. First, open the Settings app. For telephones working Android 8 (Oreo), click on System. In any other case, in case your cellphone has Android 7 (Nougat) or later, scroll right down to About Telephone, then discover Construct Quantity. Faucet Construct Quantity seven instances to allow Developer Choices.
- Activate USB debugging (this lets your cellphone and laptop talk by way of USB) throughout the Developer Choices menu. To do that, head to Settings > System > Superior > Developer Choices. You’ll discover USB debugging with just a bit scrolling down.
- Allow OEM unlocking. This selection can also be a part of the Developer Choices menu, additional up the web page than the place you discovered USB debugging. If that choice isn’t accessible so that you can allow, that could be as a result of it’s already enabled.
Step 2: Join your cellphone to your laptop and get began
- If you happen to use Home windows 10, you’ll need to install this driver first in your cellphone to be acknowledged. Folks utilizing macOS or Linux don’t want a driver.
- Join your cellphone to your laptop with a USB cable. Then visit this page to proceed.
- The Android Flash Software will ask for permission to entry ADB keys in a pop-up window, which is important to put in software program in your cellphone. You’ll have to faucet “OK” to proceed with this course of.
- Click on “Choose gadget.” Your gadget ought to seem in a pop-up window in your laptop, so go forward and click on it.
- When you do this, you must now see a request in your cellphone that claims “Enable USB debugging?” You’ll additionally see an extended string of numbers and letters that ought to match up with what your PC exhibits for those who click on the gear icon on the Android Flash Software web page. In your cellphone, verify the field subsequent to “All the time permit from this laptop,” then faucet Enable.
- After that, your gadget ought to present up on the Android Flash Software as being linked. Click on on the field with the identify of your gadget to proceed.
- You’ll need to take note of what seems within the “Chosen construct” part of the Flash Software (see beneath). It ought to say “Android 12 Developer Preview 1.” Earlier than you hit the blue “Set up” button on the backside of the web page, I like to recommend tapping the pencil icon subsequent to “Chosen construct” and checking the “Lock Bootloader” field. This may lock the bootloader after this course of is full, leaving you with a safer gadget than if it remained unlocked.
- The subsequent window mainly tells you to cease interacting along with your cellphone throughout the remainder of this course of except requested to take action and to not unplug your gadget. If you happen to’re able to proceed, go forward.
- Yet another immediate earlier than getting began: a license settlement. It’s worthwhile to conform to the phrases of the Android Software program Improvement Package License Settlement, which you’ll find here.
- After you hit “I settle for,” your cellphone will reboot into its bootloader display screen. If nothing occurs for just a few seconds, don’t fear. You may additionally see a window pop up in your laptop that claims “Reselect your gadget.” In that case, depart your cellphone alone and choose “Reselect gadget” on the pc. Based on Google, your cellphone could be renamed “Android,” although it’d simply be recognized with the mannequin identify (e.g., Pixel 3).
- If you happen to haven’t flashed software program earlier than, Google will most likely have to unlock your bootloader to proceed with the set up. Take into account that doing this may set off a manufacturing unit reset in your cellphone. If you happen to haven’t backed up your information, you’ll lose all the things. When you agree, you’ll want to permit the bootloader to unlock in your cellphone. To do that, use the quantity keys to navigate to the choice that claims “Unlock the bootloader,” then hit the facility button as soon as to verify.
- After that, the Android Flash Software will start to obtain and set up the software program. You’ll be able to proceed to observe alongside, however don’t contact your cellphone at this level, despite the fact that it is going to restart a number of instances. Simply control the progress utilizing the Android Flash Software web page in your laptop.
When you’re all achieved, the cellphone will reboot one final time, and over in your PC, you’ll be met with a celebratory display screen. You’re all achieved! And fortunately, you received’t need to undergo this course of once more for the subsequent Android 12 replace — straightforward as this was. You’ll robotically obtain updates to the developer preview over the air.